Type of place
‘Bulwer Cottage’ was built circa 1883 as the residence of Master Mariner Richard Henry Scholl. The area was becoming urbanised as the rich alluvial farmland was converted to housing estates. This change was complete by 1886 when a horse-drawn tram service began along the adjoining Boundary Road. This was the year that ‘Bulwer’ was transferred to Louisa Scholl. The family retained ownership until 1900. Thereafter the house had a number of owners and tenants until it was resumed by the Queensland Government in 1988. ‘Bulwer’ was converted into the ‘West End Community House’ that serviced the needs of a diverse, multi-cultural West End/South Brisbane community. It retains many nineteenth century features, including a brick chimney, lattice-screened verandah and a pyramid roof.