Addresses

At 225 Boundary Street, West end, Queensland 4101

Type of place

Church, Hall

Period

Federation 1890-1914

This is an image of the local heritage place known as Greek Evangelical Church

Greek Evangelical Church

Greek Evangelical Church Download Citation (pdf, 504.67 KB)

Addresses

At 225 Boundary Street, West end, Queensland 4101

Type of place

Church, Hall

Period

Federation 1890-1914

This timber hall was built in 1910 for the West End Gospel Mission, a philanthropic branch of the Methodist Church that was established to assist local residents in need. The establishment of the hall reflects the social and economic status of West End at that time; a suburb dominated by struggling working class families. The hall operated as a mission until around 1945 and in 1960 was purchased by the Greek Evangelical Church for use as a church. The building has since continued to be an important focus for West End’s vibrant Greek community.

Also known as

West End Gospel Hall

Lot plan

L10_RP11163

Key dates

Local Heritage Place Since —

Date of Information —

Construction

Roof: Corrugated iron;
Walls: Timber

Criterion for listing

(A) Historical; (A) Historical; (A) Historical; (E) Aesthetic; (G) Social

Interactive mapping

City Plan Interactive Mapping

Also known as

West End Gospel Hall

Lot plan

L10_RP11163

Key dates

Local Heritage Place Since —

Date of Information —

Construction

Roof: Corrugated iron;
Walls: Timber

Criterion for listing

(A) Historical; (A) Historical; (A) Historical; (E) Aesthetic; (G) Social

Interactive mapping

City Plan Interactive Mapping

History

The working class nature of the suburb meant that there were many needy families in the area. Many working class families were extremely vulnerable to fluctuating economic conditions and could easily slip into a condition of helplessness. For this reason, soon after the turn of the century, the Gospel Mission felt it was necessary to establish a mission to assist needy families in West End. The Mission was a philanthropic branch of the Methodist church. It was involved in providing relief to the unemployed and needy, comfort to troubled families and care for the aged.

By 1909 sufficient funds had been raised and in 1910 a thirteen perch allotment in Boundary Street was purchased. Construction of the new gospel hall began almost immediately, and by the end of 1910, the hall had been completed. For almost 30 years the hall was enthusiastically run by Samuel Crowther, whose name appears on the land title. Crowther and his family lived nearby in Dornoch Terrace. In 1939, title to the hall was passed to Benjamin Lovelock. He and his family continued to run the mission until 1945, when the property was transferred to the Brisbane City Dunwich and St Helena Mission. The building was then briefly used as a storehouse.

Around 1950 a group of Greek migrants, who had been using a room in the West End School of Arts for religious meetings, approached the Brisbane City Mission about using its hall. The Mission agreed to sell the hall to the Greek Evangelists, on the condition that it would be used as a church. Members of the Greek Evangelical Church took custody of the property in 1960.

The Greek Evangelical Church is interdenominational, and one of its aims is to assist Greek migrants in the community. The Greek presence has been dominant and influential in West End - for example in 1991, the Greek-speaking community made up 16.1 per cent of the suburb's population. The building continues to serve the Greek community of West End and surrounding suburbs and plays an important part in the lives of members of the Greek community.

Description

This is a large utilitarian gable-roofed building with a post-supported awning over the footpath. In the gable front are three windows, all rectangular with a large central one and two lower, flanking smaller windows. The front of the building beneath the awning is sheeted in fibre cement, and has a doorway to the left and in the centre.
 

The side walls have four double-hung sash windows along their length. Beyond these is a single bank of louvres in a lean-to extension to the main building. The awning with its curved corrugated metal roof has tongue and groove boarded solid ends. The whole of the building behind the footpath is supported on closely spaced stumps with ant caps. The gutters of the main roof run down each side of the building and turn the corner to continue a short distance along the front.

Statement of significance

Relevant assessment criteria

This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:






References

  1. Brisbane City Council, Ward of Dutton Park Community Profile, 1995

  2. Dingle, Rev R.S.C. 1947, Annals of Achievement: A Review of Queensland Methodism 1847-1943, Queensland Book Depot, Brisbane

  3. Interview with Ethena Bellas, member of the Greek Evangelical congregation

  4. Brisbane Post Office Directories

  5. Queensland Land Titles Office Records


Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised October 2019)

Federation 1890-1914
Church
Hall
At 225 Boundary Street, West end, Queensland 4101
At 225 Boundary Street, West end, Queensland 4101 L10_RP11163
Historical, Historical, Historical, Aesthetic, Social