Type of place
The Bethany Gospel Hall was constructed circa 1905 on land donated by the owner James Haynes. Haynes had acquired the vacant site in 1889. Originally named ‘Bethany Hall’, it has been in continuous use as a community-meeting place for more than 100 years.
Also known as
Local Heritage Place Since —
Date of Citation —
Roof: Corrugated iron; Walls: Timber
Criterion for listing
(A) Historical;(D) Representative;(E) Aesthetic;(G) Social
The land on which the Bethany Gospel Hall now stands was originally part of a seven-acre and thirty-two perch lot costing £20.10.5. The Deed of Grant was registered to James Garrett who subdivided and sold the land shortly after purchase. Maria Milsom purchased the block of land in 1877. She used it to raised mortgages in the economic boom years of the 1880s. The site at 38 Annerley Road currently retains the boundaries of the block bought by Milsom in 1877. Post Office directories do not indicate anyone in residence at this address so it is probable that the land remained vacant until the construction of the hall in 1905.
Ownership was transferred to James Walter Hayne in 1889, who also secured mortgages against the land until its sale in 1904. From this point in time until the 1930s deterioration of title deeds prevents a detailed analysis of ownership. It appears to have been placed in the hands of trustees in 1904 and remained so until transferred in 1951 to the current owners, the Queensland Stewarts Company.
Post Office directories registered the existence of ‘Bethany Hall’ in 1905. Given the architectural style of the building currently on site it is probable that it was constructed at that time.
This is a late nineteenth century, timber church building. It has a symmetrical front with a street-facing iron gable roof and a flying gable over the enclosed front porch. Within the front gable end walls is a rectangular window and timber louvers beneath the gable ridge. The porch gable has a collar tie and a finial that extends downwards to also form a pendant. Steps leading to the church entry are parallel to the church on either side of the front porch. The balustrades of the porch are timber chamfer clad. The side windows are evenly spaced and extend vertically from the awning line. An iron fence is set above a masonry wall, with decorative cast iron gates, and runs along the front alignment of the property.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
as a local Gospel Hall constructed around 1905.
The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a modest early twentieth century timber place of worship.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance
as an intact 1905 timber church building.
The place has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
as a Gospel Hall associated with the local community since its construction in 1905.
Brisbane City Council Water Supply & Sewerage Detail Plans
Department of Natural Resources, Queensland Certificates of title and other records.
Environmental Protection Agency
JOL Estate Map Collection and photographic collection
Lawson, Ronald Brisbane in the 1890s: A Study of an Australian Urban Society. St Lucia U of Q Press, 1973
McKellar's Map of Brisbane and Suburbs. Brisbane: Surveyor-General’s Office, 1895
Donald Watson and Judith McKay, Queensland Architects of the Nineteenth Century, South Brisbane: Queensland Museum, 1994
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised September 2020)