Type of place
Burke’s Hotel was built in 1890 for Thomas Burke who contracted prominent Brisbane architects John Hall & Son for its design. The hotel’s siting on Annerley Road (then called Boggo Road) provided an advantage due to the large number of bullock drivers who were travelling through on the teamster trail from the Darling Downs. Burke remained the owner and proprietor of the hotel until 1899 before selling it on. It has since had a number of owners but in the 1980s was named ‘Burke’s Hotel’ in his honour. The hotel retains a lot of its original architecture and is substantially intact for a nineteenth century hotel.
Also known as
The Red Brick
Local Heritage Place Since —
Date of Citation —
Roof: Corrugated iron; Walls: Brick - Painted
John Hall and Son (Architect)
Criterion for listing
(A) Historical;(E) Aesthetic;(H) Historical association
Burke’s Hotel was built in 1890 for Thomas Burke. On 12 November 1889, Thomas Burke purchased this site and the same day took out a ₤3,000 mortgage, presumably for the construction of this hotel.1 The architectural firm, John Hall & Sons called tenders on 16 December 1889 and A. James won the contract. The cost of the stone work was estimated at ₤3,740 and the terracotta, ₤3,760.1
Burke’s Hotel was built on Boggo Road, an early name for Annerley Road, to cater for the bullock drivers travelling on the teamster trail from the Darling Downs.1
Thomas Burke remained the owner and proprietor of this hotel until his death on 28th November 1899. It was subsequently owned by Michael Burke who in March 1901 sold the property to Perkins & Co Ltd.1
Burke’s Hotel was later called ‘The Red Brick’. This name may be derived from the building’s red brick or from the colloquial name used by local bookmakers for a red 10-pound note – a ‘brick’.1
In the 1980s this hotel was renamed Burke’s Hotel in honour of Thomas Burke. The hotel retains its traditional elaborate staircase, graceful arches and leadlight doors, which bear the words ‘Burke’s Hotel’.
Burke’s Hotel is predominantly brick with a corrugated iron roof, although there are some timber lean-to structures to the rear of the building. Gable ends with finials feature as part of the roof form, providing address to both streets. The most dominant features of the roofscape however, are the corner pyramidal roof, and the predominance of chimneys. An upper level awning supported by cast iron brackets skirts around both buildings frontages directly beneath the gables.
The Annerley Road frontage has a short arcade of three bays at street level, above this is an equivalent length of verandah. To either side of the arcade on the lower level are groups of three windows, the centre one slightly larger. Above these on the upper level there are centrally located single windows. The gable roof ends align with these window groupings.
The Stephens Road frontage is less elaborate but similar, the arcade and verandah being replaced by an entry door flanked by windows, and the single upper window respectively. The addition along this face has its own slightly different proportion of a lower height than the original building, it has a doorway to its lower left. The gable located centrally on the addition has a pair of windows symmetrically beneath it.
The building has a truncated corner at the point below the octagonal pyramidal roof where the two frontages meet. This turns the corner in three steps giving the appearance of a separate tower. The fabric of the building seems predominantly intact, the major change being the painting of the facebrick exterior.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
as a surviving example of one of the many hotels for which Brisbane was renowned in the late nineteenth century.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance
for its fine contribution to the Annerley Road streetscape; and, as a substantially intact nineteenth century hotel that retains a lot of its original architecture.
The place has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organization of importance in the city’s or local area’s history
as a building designed by prominent Brisbane architects John Hall & Son.
Titles, CT No. 10424
John Hall & Sons Tenders Book, John Oxley Library Manuscript Collection
Telegraph, 14 April 1981
Titles, CT No. 10424
Telegraph, 14 April 1981
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised September 2020)