Type of place
At a Grey Street Congregational Church meeting it was decided that the land purchased in February 1884 in Woolloongabba should be developed as a church and Sunday school. Tenders were called in May and the church was completed by October with the parish school placed underneath the church. The dedication service was held on 26 October 1884. By 1970, increasing secularism and the start of the construction of the South-East Freeway that cut Woolloongabba in half, contributed to falling church attendances. The last Congregational Church service was held on 5 December 1971, 87 years after the Congregationalists had built the church. This was a cross-denominational service conducted along with the Baptist Union that had bought the church, hall and manse in 1971. It was renamed the Spanish Speaking Baptist Church. It remained a church for over 100 years but in 1990 it was sold to private owners.