This former church was built in 1936 during the height of Ashgrove's residential development. It originally opened as the Ashgrove Presbyterian Church but in 1959 was modified and renamed St. David’s Presbyterian Church. After the amalgamation of the Presbyterian, Congregational and Methodist Churches in 1977, this church joined with six other local churches to form the Ashgrove Parish of the Uniting Church of Australia. By 1996 the church had closed and the building was converted into a private residence.
Work on the new building proceeded rapidly after the land was purchased, and the stump-capping ceremony was held on 2 November. The church was ready for opening and dedication by March 1936 and the first service was conducted on 8 March. A Sunday School commenced the following week.
The church was built in the Glen Lyon Gardens Estate, which is attributed as being the catalyst in the interwar development of Ashgrove. The estate comprised more than 800 residential allotments and was released for sale in 1924. Following its release, several other estates were opened up, and Ashgrove experienced an unprecedented residential building boom. The popular garden suburb boasted larger than average residential allotments, well designed subdivisions, and plenty of open space, with pocket parks and nature strips. In particular the area attracted young, middle class couples with children, earning it a reputation as ‘nappy valley’.
The Presbyterian church at Ashgrove served the wider district with parishioners from Alderley and The Gap travelling to worship there until more Presbyterian churches were built. The parishioners were involved in a wide range of activities and young people in particular became a focus, with the formation of clubs and guilds for boys and girls. At the request of the parishioners, the name of the church was changed in 1959 to St David's. In the same year a number of alterations were made, including extensive modifications to the interior.
In 1977 the Presbyterian Church joined with six other churches to form the Ashgrove Parish of the Uniting Church of Australia. The church was later closed and in 1996 was converted into a private home which involved substantial modifications to the interior and rear of the building, and construction of a high timber and masonry fence around part of the site.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
as it reflects the development of Ashgrove in the 1930s and the residential boom that occurred during the interwar period.
The place has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
as a place of worship for the local community for almost 60 years.
Beyond Measure: St David's Uniting Church, c.1986
Information prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised September 2020)