Addresses

At 229 Tingal Road, Wynnum, Queensland 4178

Type of place

Cottage, Hall

Period

Federation 1890-1914

Style

Queenslander

This is an image of the heritage place known as the Shire Clerk’s Cottage

Elevation from Tingal Rd

Shire Clerk's Cottage

Shire Clerk's Cottage Download Citation (pdf, 74.94 KB)

Addresses

At 229 Tingal Road, Wynnum, Queensland 4178

Type of place

Cottage, Hall

Period

Federation 1890-1914

Style

Queenslander

Lot plan

L624_W4212

Key dates

Local Heritage Place Since —

Date of Citation —

Construction

Roof: Corrugated iron;
Walls: Timber

People/associations

Joe Sands (Occupant)

Criterion for listing

(A) Historical; (D) Representative; (E) Aesthetic; (H) Historical association; (H) Historical association

Interactive mapping

City Plan Interactive Mapping

Lot plan

L624_W4212

Key dates

Local Heritage Place Since —

Date of Citation —

Construction

Roof: Corrugated iron;
Walls: Timber

People/associations

Joe Sands (Occupant)

Criterion for listing

(A) Historical; (D) Representative; (E) Aesthetic; (H) Historical association; (H) Historical association

Interactive mapping

City Plan Interactive Mapping

History

Local government was introduced into the Wynnum area with the establishment of the Kianawah Divisional Board in 1888. The Divisional Board operated from rented premises in King Street Wynnum, but in 1889 organised plans to be drawn up for a public hall, office and a clerk’s residence. There is an indication that these structures were intended to be erected on property in King Street, but the Board could not agree on the location. The decision was so long delayed that prominent Brisbane architect G.W.C. Wilson, who had prepared the building plans, commenced legal proceedings to recover his fees.

The Queensland Government set aside approximately 0.8ha of land on Tingal Road, for the Board’s use, which was accepted. Tenders were finally called in March 1890 for the erection of the buildings, and that of J.G. Gross was accepted.

The hall and clerk’s house were completed by August 1890. The former Kianawah Divisional Board was renamed the Wynnum Divisional Board in 1892. Ten years later in 1902 a Wynnum Shire Council was created. Wynnum was declared a municipality in 1913. The property came under the control of the Brisbane City Council upon the amalgamation of the shires to form Greater Brisbane in 1925.

The house is most strongly associated with Joe Sands, a long-serving official of successive local authorities in the area. He and his family were resident in the cottage between 1907 and 1935. He combined the duties of Town Clerk and Engineer and is credited with much influence on the growth of the district and on the provision of roads, drains, bridges, parklands and waterfront improvements.

The old Council hall was demolished in 1976 and the Leisure Centre was built in its place in 1978. The cottage was acquired for use by the Leisure Centre in 1980 and restored in 1984.

Description

The former Shire Clerk’s Cottage is a timber-framed, iron-roofed house, standing in the grounds of the Waterloo Bay 50 & Over Leisure Centre. Built in 1890, the house is supported on timber stumps with a battened screen to the perimeter. A generous verandah protects the western, northern and eastern sides of the house. The verandah is sheltered by a shallow bull-nose, forming a skirt to the hipped main roof. A striking feature of the house is the use of decorative cast iron work – to the verandah’s balustrade and valences, and to the main roof’s ridge and finials. The principal façade of the house features a timber entry stair rising to a vaulted portico, infilled with a timber fretwork screen.

The exposed external walls on the southern and eastern sides of the house are clad in chamferboards. The remaining external walls are protected by the verandah and feature single-skin, exposed frame walls of exemplary simplicity and workmanship. The interior features original T&G floors and VJ walls. Large back-to-back fireplaces serve the living room and kitchen.

The area beneath the house has been partially excavated and enclosed to provide additional gathering spaces for the 50 & Over Centre. The materials used are not in keeping with the house above but the spaces are generally set back from the battened screens and to not affect the principal views of the house. Access to the undercroft spaces is from the back of the house and again, this allows the views of the house to remain uncompromised.

The cottage is surrounded by well-kept lawns. The forested embankments of Wynnum Creek form a leafy backdrop to the pristine cottage and create a picturesque scene from Tingal Road and the adjoining 50 & Over Centre. An original post and rail timber fence delineates the top of the creek embankment in front of the house.

Although the cottage has undergone a series of minor modifications, including the aforementioned undercroft, it is still remarkably intact. The extensive lawns and forested embankments provide a setting that enhances appreciation of the former Shire Clerk’s Cottage.

Statement of significance

Relevant assessment criteria

This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:






References

  1. Brisbane City Council Heritage Unit, ‘Shire Clerk’s Cottage Wynnum’, Conservation Management Study Site Report (June 2001)


Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised June 2022)

Federation 1890-1914
Queenslander
Cottage
Hall
At 229 Tingal Road, Wynnum, Queensland 4178
At 229 Tingal Road, Wynnum, Queensland 4178 L624_W4212
Historical, Representative, Aesthetic, Historical association, Historical association