The house on the corner of Wynnum North Road (formerly Lytton Road) and Wassell Street was constructed in 1934 for John W. Watson, a mill engineer, by Newstead contractors Brown and Broad. The site had been part of the Sheppard Smith Estate, offered for sale in 1905 but unsold until 1917, when Benjamin Burton Whitehouse purchased over seven acres of the estate. Whitehouse sold off sections of the land in the 1920s, including this corner allotment comprising 76.4 perches, to Germaine Sheppard in 1928. Watson purchased the site in 1934, shortly before the construction of his timber residence. Watson’s house was one of the first residences on the street and was for several years surrounded only by farmland and undeveloped allotments. The large corner block was subdivided and partially sold in 1966, finally passing from the family’s ownership in 1974.
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
as an interwar house in an area of Wynnum dominated by postwar housing. The house is indicative of the early development in the area surrounding Nazareth House (1924) which stalled until after World War II.
The place demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the city’s or local area’s cultural heritage
as an interwar house in north-west Wynnum it demonstrates the late development of this fringe area of the early twentieth century seaside resort of Wynnum.
Brisbane City Council, Properties on the Web, Building Cards
Detail Plan No W12 (date unknown)
Brisbane City Council, aerial photographs 1946 & 2009
Brisbane City Council, Register of New Buildings 1934
Post Office Directories.
Queensland Places – Wynnum (website)
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised June 2022)