Constructed as a residence in 1933 for Colin J. Carmichael, ‘Brierley’ was one of the first residences on Shepherd Street. It had been part of the Sheppard Smith Estate, offered for sale in 1905 but unsold until 1917, when Benjamin Whitehouse purchased over seven acres of the estate. Whitehouse sold off sections of the land in the 1920s, including the two rood 13.3 perch corner allotment to Henry and Mary Cresswell in 1926. Carmichael, grandson of a pioneer of the Tingalpa area, bought this land in 1933, shortly before he was granted approval to construct a dairy and residence on site. In 1946 Carmichael’s property was sold to the Muller family, who had relocated to give their daughter Fay a better chance for her tennis career. This interwar bungalow residence, featuring prominent gables and lace balustrading and timber arches to the verandahs, reflects the relatively late development of the inland, semi-rural Wynnum area.