Constructed when Yeerongpilly was beginning to develop as a residential suburb, this large federation styled house was completed sometime between 1913 and 1915 for Samuel and Lillian Roberts. It is significant in demonstrating the pattern of development in Yeerongpilly and is also significant for its aesthetic value.
Yeerongpilly was first called Logan Junction. In 1879 the Shire of Yeerongpilly was established under the Divisional Boards Act of 1879. It was a substantial area, extending to the Logan River in Beenleigh, from Logan Road at Mt Gravatt to Goodna taking in Daly’s Gap in the Peak Mts. In October 1886 the Stephens Divisional Board was gazetted, with the first meeting in December 1886. Subsequently an area of nine square miles of the Shire of Yeerongpilly was set aside as the Shire of Stephens and 20 square miles was set aside to form the Shire of Sherwood in 1888 and 1891 respectively.
The rail line to Brisbane had been established by 1884. In the early 1890s the Yeronga district became fashionable as an address for wealthy Brisbane residents and a number of large homes were constructed. In general, residential development in the area in which this house was slow however, impeded by a lack of public transport within the district. The development of Yeronga began in earnest about 1912 and reached a peak of activity after the First World War.
The allotments that the dwelling is located upon were offered for sale as a subdivision by the City Property Realization Company of Queensland Limited. The sale of these allotments took a considerable time and some were still being sold after First World War. George Edward Driver made the initial purchase of allotments 11 to 17 in August 1912. In October 1913 the property was transferred to Lillian May Roberts, wife of Samuel Roberts. The Roberts family built the house soon afterwards and retained ownership until around 1944 when it was purchased by John Aboud. Aboud sold some of some of the allotments (subs 11 & 12) in the early 1950s giving the block its present configuration.
This dwelling presents as an imposing federation styled Queensland dwelling constructed of timber, with a terra cotta tile roof.
The dwelling is of bungalow design and has an “L” shaped verandah with a gabled porch/front stairs entry. Additional features include multi-paned French doors and a flat-top chimney
Situated on a central location on the 4 allotment the residence is designed to make the most of its Crichton and Tees Street frontages and full use of the surrounding grounds as a buffer zone to highlight the residence’s setting. This residence makes a significant contribution to the streetscape.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
as it is a large federation styled house constructed in Yeerongpilly prior to the First World War at a time when the suburb was emerging as a residential area.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance
as it is an outstanding example of a federation styled Queensland house featuring a terracotta tiled roof and restrained detailing.
Brisbane Centenary Official Historical Souvenir. 1924
Brisbane City Council Building Cards
Brisbane City Council Detail Plans
Certificates of Title.
Notes on 88 Kadumba St, Yeronga
Judy Gale Rechner, Brisbane House Styles 1880 to 1940: a guide to the affordable house, Brisbane: Brisbane History Group Studies No. 2, 1998
Heritage Unit, Stephens District: Character and Heritage Study, Heritage Unit, Brisbane City Council, 1995
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised September 2020)