Type of place
This house, ‘Warra,’ was built in 1914 for government bacteriologist St George Thorn. It was part of a site obtained by the City Property Realisation Company of Queensland in December 1911. The company offered subdivisions for sale, sparking residential growth in this part of Yeerongpilly, which had previously been undeveloped or agricultural land. Designed by local architect George Trotter, Warra housed Thorn’s growing family and provided Thorn with easy access to his workplace at the Yeerongpilly Stock Experiment Station. Thorn owned the property until 1949.
Yeerongpilly Station was first called Logan Junction. Residential development of Yeronga began about 1912 and received a big impetus after WW1. In 1879 the Shire of Yeerongpilly was established under the Divisional Boards Act of 1879. And extended to the Logan River in Beenleigh, from Logan Rd at Mt Gravatt to Goodna taking in Daly’s Gap in the Peak Mts. In oct 1886 the Stephens Divisional Board was gazetted with the first meeting in Dec 1886. Nine square miles of the Shire of Yeerongpilly was set aside as the Shire of Stephens.1
Built early 1914 for St George Thorn – also know as George Thorn. Designed by local architect George Trotter and built by Mr Marlow.1
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
as a substantial federation bungalow house constructed in Yeerongpilly prior to the First World War at a time when the suburb was emerging as a residential area.
The place demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the city’s or local area’s cultural heritage
as a substantial house constructed in Yeerongpilly prior to the First World War.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance
as a substantial Federation bungalow house on a corner site in Yeerongpilly.
Stephens Heritage Survey
Brisbane City Council Heritage Unit Files
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised June 2022)