This Federation style bungalow was constructed circa 1908 for local jeweller, Ebenezer Jones, who became the first resident of Watson Street. The house was first named ‘Croyde’ circa 1918 by its second owners, the Brier family.
Camp Hill saw European settlement from the 1860s. The area was subdivided into allotments repeatedly but was only very sparsely inhabited until the first years of the twentieth century. Ebenezer Jones bought five allotments of land totalling 1 rood 32 perches (1822m2) in Camp Hill on 15 June 1908. Jones, a resident of South Brisbane, mortgaged his new land purchase on 30 December 1908 and obtained a loan of ₤320. It is likely with this money that Jones funded the erection of his residence at 84 Watson Street, Camp Hill. Post Office records suggest that his house, built in a Federation style, was completed by 1909.
Like other centres in Australia, Brisbane experienced a strong growth in prosperity and population after the economic depression of the early 1890s until the outbreak of WWI in 1915 – the Federation era. Notably, architecture of this period embraced Australiana, inventing and incorporating elements and decoration that celebrated Australia. This extended into garden design with a marginally more natural approach to design and an awareness of native flora and fauna. The architecture of the period is distinguished through its comprehensive use of timber including elaborately detailed timber verandahs with a filigree of pattern and light. Verandah forms were manipulated to provide wider areas so that, as well as being functional weather protection, they were commodious and readily occupiable. Internally, the house layouts of this period were generally traditional with little alteration from the previous period. The house faced the street, with principal rooms at the front and secondary/service rooms at the rear.
During the Federation era, Camp Hill remained largely agricultural or undeveloped due to its distance from Brisbane but saw increasing occupation by wealthy residents on the desirable high land or ridgelines. From 1912 a steam tram serviced the area until being replaced after the electrified tram system was extended into the area in 1925. This spurred development and the area gradually became a distinct locality by the 1930s.
In 1915 Jones sold 84 Watson Street to Ada Victoria Dean, who sold it in 1917 to Royston Carr Brier and his wife Clara Garland Brier. The Briers named the property Croyde, with this name appearing in the 1918-19 Queensland Post Office Directories. By 1938 the Briers had built a tennis court on the area of the garden immediately west of the house (Lot 101). Croyde passed through many owners over the following years.
In 2015 Croyde survives on its original land holding as an intact example of the type of houses built for wealthy residents in Brisbane during the Federation era and illustrates the early residential development of Camp Hill.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
as a representative illustration of the early twentieth century residential development of the Camp Hill area.
The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as an intact demonstration of the large timber houses built for wealthy residents in Brisbane during the Federation era. The principal characteristics include: a large well composed timber framed and clad, highset house standing in a generous garden with established trees and lawns; cohesive use of high-quality timber architectural elements and detailing, particularly on the verandahs; encircling verandahs with wider areas for comfortable occupation; and a traditional, formal interior layout of lofty rooms with attractive decorative treatments of the principal rooms.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance
as an intact Federation era house with strong architectural qualities in an attractive setting comprising a generous yard with mature trees and lawns that engenders a gracious yet simple domestic character.
Brisbane City Council, Properties on the Web, website, post-1946 building cards
Brisbane City Council, 1946 aerial photographs.
Brisbane City Council, Sewerage Maps, 24 July 1938
Brisbane City Council’s Central Library, local history sheets
Department of Natural Resources, Queensland Certificates of title and other records.
John Oxley Library, Brisbane Suburbs – Estate Maps
Queensland Post Office Directories, 1868-1949
Information prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised September 2020)