An increasingly rare timber station building dating from 1913 which incorporates rare design and detailing which demonstrates the expansion of the Brisbane suburban railway system to both meet and stimulate the growth of the suburbs, and which has served the Coorparoo community for over 100 years.
The Cleveland Branch was built to serve the agricultural area of Redland Bay and to provide seaside access for Brisbane residents and took an indirect route via Wynnum and Manly. The line from Albert (near Park Road) to Cleveland Central opened on 1 October 1889. A short extension to Cleveland - closer to Cleveland Point -opened on 20 December 1897. The line lost money and in a short sighted move, to save bridge reconstruction, was closed on 1 November 1960. The right of way was retained by the local authority as far as Raby Bay, and the line was rebuilt in stages, opening to Thorneside on 25 September 1982, to Wellington Point as an electric line on 26 July 1986 and Cleveland (just short of the old Raby Bay) on 24 October 1987.1
The current station building was constructed in 1913 following the duplication of the line. The design chosen was relatively unusual with an open waiting area and a ventilated roof structure.
The station had an elevated signal cabin and a footbridge which included an office on the landing. When the line was electrified in 1983, these were removed and a new office was constructed as an extension to the 1913 building.
A timber framed and weatherboarded structure with a corrugated iron roof, with shade awnings to both elevations, supported on curved brackets. The 1913 building has a centrally located an open waiting room. The original roof structure was of an open ventilation design, with open eves, subsequently enclosed. This is a 1983 office extension and cover shelter shed extension to the northern end.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
as a timber station building constructed in 1913, it demonstrates the expansion of the suburban railway system, with additional intermediate stations constructed along the 1889 Cleveland line when it was duplicated, to service the growing suburb of Norman Park.
The place demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the city’s or local area’s cultural heritage
as an increasingly rare surviving example of an intact 1913 timber railway station of an unusual design. While once common the duplication and upgrading of Brisbane suburban lines has resulted in the removal of many timber station buildings.
The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a reasonably intact timber railway station building incorporating rare details including an open ventilated roof structure, more commonly used on Northern Queensland lines, and an open waiting area, and other surviving original features dating from 1913.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance
being a reasonably intact example of a traditional 1913 timber framed and weather boarded railway station building, with awnings to both sides supported on curved brackets, and other original carpentry detailing.
Queensland Rail Heritage Study, John Kerr 1993
A Heritage Management Survey for Queensland Railways, Metropolitan South Part 1, Bruce Buchanan Architects, 2002
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised September 2020)