Frederick Thomas Brentnall, a former Wesleyan minister, was proprietor of the Brisbane Telegraph newspaper, alderman, and Member of the Queensland Legislative Council from 1886 until its abolition in 1922. He acquired 33 acres of land in this vicinity during 1884, and built his house ‘Eastwood’ on a 10 acre allotment circa 1887. He began to subdivide the property after WWI, and sold these vacant allotments in 1919 to Mary Ann Bird, wife of publican Thomas Bird. Thomas Bird was at the time the licensee of the Stones Corner Hotel. The house appears to have been built for the Birds by 1922. Thomas Bird’s involvement with the local community included his election as the first president of the Eastern Suburbs Football Club in 1934.