This shelter generally conforms to the P.1008 Standard Waiting Shelter design produced by BCC during the late 1940s. Drawn by the BCC Department of Works, this design was signed off by City Architect Frank Costello in 1945, although it does not resemble Costello’s style. These shelters closely resembles those constructed by Brisbane Tramway Trust (BTT) during the 1920-30s, and may be a continuation of the earlier BTT design. The hipped roof pavilion shelter stands on a concrete pad straddling the footpath. The roof is clad with terracotta tiles and the eaves are intact.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
for their association with the development of public transport since the mid-20th century, and remaining in continuous use as a waiting shelter.
The place demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the city’s or local area’s cultural heritage
surviving as evidence of the early tram routes and of a form of public transport no longer in use.
The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a representative form of tram/bush shelters.
The place has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organization of importance in the city’s or local area’s history
as tram shelters associated with the operations of the BCC Transport Department since 1945.
Tram and Bus Shelters: Conservation Management Study, BCC, 2002
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised June 2022)