Type of place
World War I 1914-1918
'Lutmis' was constructed circa 1915 for spinster Annie Saches and may have initially been constructed as a rental investment property. It was built in the later stages of Highgate Hill’s residental development and presents some unique and ornate Victorian detailing in its architecture. It is one of several late nineteenth and early twentieth century houses on the ridge of Dornoch Terrace that provide evidence of its status as a desirable address at the beginning of the twentieth century.
This ornate home was built circa 1915 for spinster Annie Saches. It was built in the later stages of Highgate Hill’s residential development and has some unique ornate Victorian detailing.
The land on which ‘Lutmis’ stands was part of a larger block purchased by notable nineteenth century Brisbane and Queensland personality Nehemiah Bartley in December 1860. It was bounded by Dornoch Terrace, Sankey and St James Streets, and the Brisbane River. By c.1865 the block had been subdivided and it is likely that building commenced shortly after sale of the subdivision. This block of land located at the corner of Sankey Street and Dornoch Terrace was reduced to a 32 perch block under the ownership of W Condell by around 1866. From this date it had a number of owners.
The land was transferred to Annie Saches, spinster, in October 1914. Postal records do not show Annie Saches listed as resident at Dornoch Terrace suggesting it was a rental property. It seems that Richard James Kelly was the first resident of the house.
A business arrangement over the property between Saches and Kelly became complicated with Kelly’s death in 1917. Saches placed a caveat on the land in July 1918 and in November that year Kelly’s trustee also placed a caveat on the property. The latter became the successful party in October 1920. Eventually the property was sold to Anton Hiller of Boonah. Directories indicate that the property was rented from this time. The 1935 Detail Plan shows the name of the house as ‘Lutmis’.
This residence is a corner house, which is also diagonally opposite the State Heritage listed residence, ‘Kinauld’. The house has been altered and renovated but has retained several characteristic features. The most notable of these features being an ogee turret roof section that rises from a corner bay window.
The roofing is corrugated iron, with the main roof being pyramidal and gable roofs projecting at either end of the verandah, which wraps around the corner of the house. The verandah has a separate roof stepped down from the main roof and a gable further indicates the verandah entry. An iron finial rises from the ridge of each of the gables and also from the turret. Corbelled brackets decorate the turret and lower edge of the main roof. A decorative galvanised iron roof ventilator rises from near the peak of the pyramid roof. The gable ends have extended bargeboards with rounded ends, collar ties, vertical battening and pendants behind the battening.
Access to the house is via the verandah, which is raised above street level. Part of the subfloor has been built in. The verandah has double posts to the right side of the entry. The posts are corniced and have verandah brackets. The balustrading has timber top and bottom railings with decorative cast iron infill. To the left side of the entry a gable projects with a balcony at the gable end, which is hooded and detailed as per the verandah. French doors access the balcony and rooms off the verandah. The windows on the verandah match the french doors. Above all the balcony and verandah doors and windows are square framed leadlight windows. Other side windows have hoods with decorative timber brackets. A picket fence with moulded tops attached to the posts runs along the property boundary.
It should be noted that a lot of the detailing is relatively recent as at one stage the verandah had been enclosed, but the building has retained its overall form.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
for the evidence it provides of the continuing middle class residential development that occurred along the ridge of Dornoch Terrace during the early twentieth century.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance
for its intricate design and ornate detailing.
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised March 2020)